That's a good point. It depends on whether you're in a metropolitan area or a very rural area where there's no local tandem. In most LATAs where AT&T and Verizon are the main ILEC, the small ILECs will use the ILEC tandem to pick up traffic. But there are a lot of the rural areas (especially in the old Qwest territory) where the larger towns are so much farther apart that they didn't put in local tandems. So you had to trunk everything directly to the end office or through an access tandem if you had SPOP. If the small ILECs had multiple end offices, they might have even put in their own tandem for just their area.

So you definitely need to check out the routing information in the LERG before you make any assumptions about what rate centers are encompassed in a tandem area.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969
Cell: 615-796-1111

On 2020-12-09 10:25 AM, John Levine wrote:
In article
<1038462169.17163.1607448901620.JavaMail.mhammett@Thunderfuck2> you
write:
My operating theory is that if it's on the same tandem switch, I might as well treat it as local.

If only. At my rural ILEC, the next town up is a remote from the
switch in my town but for historical reasons they are not local to
each other so at least for people who haven't switched to bundled
plans, calls between them take a 150 mile detour to the tandem and
back.

That particular tandem also covers places 250 miles from here. I guess
it's nice if that's local.

R's,
John