On 2022-07-15 10:19, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
We stopped the useless "outside line" concept almost a decade ago.

I would like to second that.  There is no need to dial a "9" (or 8, or whatever) to seize an outside line anymore.  We are no longer using mechanical step switches, and as such, are able to more elegantly figure out what the user is trying to dial

Sometimes this requires using timeouts.  Sometimes you can avoid the timeouts by carefully selecting the extensions.  For example, if you are in US/Canada and using 3-digit dialing, the extensions 100 through 119 are never ambiguous (with NPAs, NXXs, ERCs, etc) and would not require a timeout.  If all of the extensions on the phone system are 100 through 119, then this is a clear case of where a "9" to get an "outside line" makes no technical sense.

Possible pro tip: If setting up a phone system for a very small business, and you doubt they will ever grow beyond 20 extensions, consider using extensions 100 through 119.  They will never need to endure timeouts for station-to-station calling.

This all assumes you are bothering to setup digitmaps on the phones/ATAs.