On 2023-07-26 17:43, Paul Timmins via VoiceOps wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see carriers dumping these calls via a GSM gateway,
this is really common in europe with gray routes. It'd explain why you get
weird cellular voicemail, if they sent the number to the cell phone wrong to
actually dial out.

I've heard of this!
In one instance, the call would come through every one in a dozen or so attempts. And it would often have the wrong calling number. Generally belonging to a cell provider. Audio was not great and there was noticeable latency. The call would only go for a few minutes before dropping.

I have on a couple occasions had the opportunity to have both phones sitting side-by-side. A phone from a telco with "unlimited" shady long distance, and a phone from my telco. I kept detailed logs of each call, with audio recordings of the fake voicemails, fake person talking through static, and so on. They only have so many fake recordings, so they eventually repeat themselves. We packaged up the logs and the audio files and sent it all to our PUC. Got fixed real fast. But just for that one company.