From: "Jawaid Bazyar via VoiceOps" <voiceops@voiceops.org>
To: "Ethan Clay" <et...@claytel.com>
Cc: "Voiceops" <voiceops@voiceops.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2024 3:19:03 PM
Subject: Re: [VoiceOps] Acquire MetaSwitch

"Pretty much the same, but everything is over SDWAN get to the meta. So if the
CO loses Internet or experiences Internet packet loss, all voice services will
be impacted.

Very dystopian, but I think that’s the future for rural ILECs"

OK, so one thing I'm hearing here, is concern for "survivability" where you can
at least still maintain local calling even if WAN goes down. (The internet
never goes down does it? ;-)

Of course 911 availability requirements are a key element of this, but, "the
internet is down" is also bad news for any business in your town.

Do rural operators WANT to keep running expensive local switches? Or, would
cloud be more attractive if there was survivability? i.e., limited local
hosting of services?

Aside from internet outage taking out all phones, there is also cloud outages.
Seems like a multi-cloud operation would be preferable to one that relies on a
single cloud?

Jawaid

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 4:10 PM Ethan Clay via VoiceOps < voiceops@voiceops.org
> wrote:

I think the new model is going to be:
TDM Trunk media gateway to IP
FXS to IP
ONT to IP
SDWAN to Azure where logic is done
Monthly subscription for switching

Pretty much the same, but everything is over SDWAN get to the meta. So if the
CO loses Internet or experiences Internet packet loss, all voice services will
be impacted.

Very dystopian, but I think that’s the future for rural ILECs

Best,
Ethan Clay

---- On Tue, 13 Aug 2024 15:50:07 -0400 voiceops@voiceops.org <
voiceops@voiceops.org > wrote ----

I don't think it's getting run over by AI. Peter R called it; it's about
welding everyone to Azure and Teams.

—
Sent from mobile, apologies for brevity and errors.

On Aug 13, 2024, at 3:46 PM, Jeff Brower via VoiceOps < voiceops@voiceops.org >