Posted by Eugene Volokh:
the Iranian Government and I Agree on</a>:

   I particularly like the involvement of the victims' relatives in the
   killing of the monster; I think that if he'd killed one of my
   relatives, I would have wanted to play a role in killing him. Also,
   though for many instances I would prefer less painful forms of
   execution, I am especially pleased that the killing -- and, yes, I am
   happy to call it a killing, a perfectly proper term for a perfectly
   proper act -- was a slow throttling, and was preceded by a flogging.
   The one thing that troubles me (besides the fact that the murderer
   could only be killed once) is that the accomplice was sentenced to
   only 15 years in prison, but perhaps there's a good explanation.

   I am being perfectly serious, by the way. I like civilization, but
   some forms of savagery deserve to be met not just with cold, bloodless
   justice but with the deliberate infliction of pain, with cruel
   vengeance rather than with supposed humaneness or squeamishness. I
   think it slights the burning injustice of the murders, and the pain of
   the families, to react in any other way.

   And, yes, I know this aligns me in this instance with the Iranian
   government -- but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and in
   this instance the Iranians are quite correct.