Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Evolution, Creationism, and <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law">Godwin's Law</a>:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_06_12-2005_06_18.shtml#1118961862

   [1]Clayton Cramer correctly faults Michael Shermer for writing:

     The primary reason we are experiencing this peculiarly American
     phenomenon of evolution denial (the doppelganger of Holocaust
     denial)....

   Cramer argues that evolution is less well-supported than the
   Holocaust, but I think there's a deeper error here: The main reason
   that people dislike Holocaust deniers isn't just that they're
   factually wrong, methodologically wrong, or even foolish.

   Rather, it's that we strongly suspect that the deniers either dislike
   Jews, or want to make apologies for Nazis. That's not logically
   necessary -- one can imagine someone denying the Holocaust for
   perfectly decent reasons, no matter how factually misguided he will
   be. But it does seem psychologically likely that most people who deny
   the Holocaust in the face of very powerful contrary evidence are
   indeed pro-Nazi or anti-Jewish.

   Analogizing deniers of evolution with denials of the Holocaust is thus
   unfair: Not only is there this huge difference here, but it's a
   difference that goes to the core connotation of the phrase "Holocaust
   denial" (sympathy for Nazis or anti-Semitism). If you want to suggest
   that creationists are foolish, that's great -- but analogize them to
   those who are likewise merely foolish, rather than to those whose
   folly likely stems from sympathy for evil.