Posted by Ilya Somin:
Distinguishing Origninal Meaning and Original Intent:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2006_08_13-2006_08_19.shtml#1156034935

   Lawprof Larry Solum of the Legal Theory Blog [1]laments:

     From the perspective of a constitutional theorist, I am frequently
     baffled, frustrated, and confused by the carelessness with which
     the theoretical foundations of debates about original meaning are
     articulated, both in the blogosphere and in contemporary
     constitutional scholarship. How can it be that the distinction
     between the various forms of originalism are still ignored? Can
     anyone really have missed the shift in originalist thinking from
     original-intentions originalism to original-meaning originalism?
     Most contemporary originalists believe that the relevant inquiry is
     into the original "public meaning" of the constitutional provision
     at issue. Hardly anyone thinks that the intentions, expectations,
     or purposes of the framer's are independely entitled to
     interpretive authority--although they may be evidence of original
     public meaning.

   I definitely share Larry Solum's frustration. Sadly, the confusion is
   not confined to the blogosphere and "contemporary constitutional
   scholarship." Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer also does not get
   the distinction between original meaning and original intent (or at
   least does not realize its importance), as I explain in Part III of my
   forthcoming [2]review of Active Liberty: Interpreting our Democratic
   Constitution, his recent book on constitutional theory. Breyer also
   conflates originalism and textualism (which need not require any
   reliance on original meaning OR intent). These two distinctions are
   not just academic hairsplitting, because original intent, original
   meaning, and textualism often lead to widely differing results in
   real-world legal controversies.

   Perhaps future Supreme Court nominees should be required to explain
   the difference between original meaning and original intent during
   their confirmation hearings! It would certainly be more fun to watch
   than the hearings we have now - at least for Larry Solum and me.