Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Perverse Effects of HPV Vaccine?
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_02_04-2007_02_10.shtml#1170719021

   Some argue that vaccinating girls for HPV would give them a false
   sense of security, and will thus lead to young teens' having more sex.
   I'm pretty skeptical about that.

   Those girls who think about the risks of sex (and who knew in the
   first instance that sex can cause cervical cancer) will still realize
   that sex can spread AIDS -- which kills [1]roughly 2300-2500 American
   women per year, which causes [2]over 5000 more per year to fall ill,
   and which strikes me as a much more publicly focused on risk than is
   HPV. They'll also recognize that sex can cause pregnancy; and those
   who blithely have sex without paying much attention to these remaining
   risks likely would have blithely ignored the risk of cervical cancer,
   too. "I wasn't going to have sex, because I was afraid of getting
   cervical cancer or AIDS, but now that I know that I'll only be at risk
   of AIDS, I'll go ahead and do it" strikes me as an implausible
   reaction.

   In principle, I'm open to arguments that legal requirements that seem
   to increase safety will lead to riskier behavior that will eliminate
   much of the safety benefit. That's certainly a danger that sound
   policy analysis should take into account. But in this particular
   situation, it just doesn't seem very plausible.