   From: owner-commun...@lists.law.harvard.edu
   [mailto:owner-commun...@lists.law.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Elena
   Kagan
   Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 10:44 AM
   To: commun...@lists.law.harvard.edu
   Subject: [HLS] Announcement
   Dear colleagues and friends:
   I am writing to all of you � the community of students, faculty,
   staff, and alumni of Harvard Law School � to let you know that today
   President-elect Barack Obama will announce his intention to nominate
   me to serve as Solicitor General of the United States. If confirmed by
   the Senate, I will resign the deanship of the Law School and take a
   leave of absence from the faculty.
   I have accepted this nomination because it offers me the opportunity,
   working under the leadership of the President-elect and his nominee
   for Attorney General, Eric Holder, to help advance this nation�s
   commitment to the rule of law at what I think is a critical time in
   our history. I am honored and grateful, awestruck and excited, to be
   asked to contribute to this most important endeavor. And perhaps, for
   me, it adds a special touch of sweetness to the occasion that the
   person making the nomination, in whose capacity for greatness I deeply
   believe, is himself a member of the group to which I am writing.
   At the same time, I feel today real sadness � a sense of loss of what,
   if confirmed, I will be leaving that is every bit as strong as my
   sense of anticipation of what will be to come. Now isn�t the time for
   me to attempt a grand wrapping-up or final farewell; I don�t in any
   way want to presume the outcome of the Senate�s consideration. For the
   present, I�ll say only this: it has been both the joy and the
   privilege of my life to serve as dean of this most wondrous law
   school. I love it, and I love the extraordinary community of people �
   you � who make it up. I look forward to staying in close touch.
   My warmest wishes for a happy and healthy new year.
   Best,
   Elena