Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Settlement in Arabic T-Shirt Case Involving Raed Jarrar:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_04-2009_01_10.shtml#1231285766

   [1]FoxNews reports -- citing [2]Agence France-Presse -- that "A man
   who was forced to cover a shirt displaying Arabic writing during a
   JetBlue domestic flight three years ago was awarded $240,000 in
   damages." This is Raed Jarrar, who was allegedly "approached by [TSA]
   security officials who told him to remove his T-shirt with the words
   'We will not be silent' as he waited near the front of a JetBlue
   flight at JFK Airport because it apparently made other passengers feel
   uncomfortable." Two thoughts:

   1. If the facts are as the complaint alleges (and they may well be),
   then this strikes me as pretty clearly unconstitutional action by the
   government: Jarrar was ordered by government agents to refrain from
   engaging in certain speech simply because some people were made
   "uncomfortable." That strikes me as a pretty clear violation of either
   the First Amendment or the equal protection component of the Due
   Process Clause.

   To be sure, the restriction was based on the language in which the
   message was written, and not based on the meaning of the sentence. But
   either the restriction was based on the inference that the wearer was
   an Arab, or based on the symbolic statement that he identified as an
   Arab or sympathized with Arab speakers. In either case, it would be
   unconstitutional, again if the facts were as Jarrar alleged.

   2. I think it's a mistake to say that Jarrar "was awarded $240,000 in
   damages." "Awarded," I think, implies a court order based on a
   judgment that the plaintiff was legally in the right.

   What happened here is simply a [3]settlement of a lawsuit "expressly
   on the basis of no admission of liability or fault or wrongdoing or
   responsibility ..., any such liability or fault or wrongdoing or
   responsibility being expressly denied by Defendants." So it may well
   be that Jarrar was wronged, and the defendants settled because they
   were afraid that this would indeed be so found in court. Or it may be
   that they thought they were in the right but didn't want to spend more
   money, time, or effort at this, or to the run risk of losing at trial
   (even if they thought they should win). One way or another, there was
   no decision by the court on the merits. And I don't think that "was
   awarded $240,000 in damages" is likely to reliably convey to readers
   what actually happened here.