Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Invective:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_18-2009_01_24.shtml#1232578120

   A recent glance at Alexander Hamilton's denunciation of John Adams
   leads me to revise the comments policy. The passage I have in mind is
   this:

     This scrutiny [of some of Adams's writings] enhanced my esteem in
     the main for his [Adams's] moral qualifications, but lessened my
     respect for his intellectual endowments. I then adopted an opinion,
     which all my subsequent experience has confirmed, that he is a man
     of an imagination sublimated and eccentric; propitious neither to
     the regular display of sound judgment, nor to steady perseverance
     in a systematic plan of conduct; and I began to perceive what has
     been since too manifest, that to this defect are added the
     unfortunate foibles of a vanity without bounds, and a jealousy
     capable of discoloring every object.

   Ah, they don't make insults like that any more, or at least enough of
   them. Hence my compromise: I continue to ask that "[c]omments ... be
   ... civil (and, especially, free of name-calling)." But if you
   absolutely must insult people, I want to set Hamilton's work as the
   bar you must clear for that privilege.