Posted by Todd Zywicki:
What Goes Around Comes Around:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_18-2009_01_24.shtml#1232722936

   The Washington Times notes today that many of the recipients of
   federal bailout funds are also major political donors:

     Many of the large American companies that received billions of
     taxpayer bailout dollars by pleading that they didn't have enough
     money to lend to customers were, at the same time, spending
     millions of dollars dispatching lobbyists to influence the federal
     government.

     A Washington Times review of lobbying disclosure reports found that
     18 of the top 20 recipients of federal bailout money spent a
     combined $12.2 million lobbying the White House, the Treasury
     Department, Congress and federal agencies during the last quarter
     of 2008.

     For instance, the government bought $3.4 billion in American
     Express Co. stock on Jan. 9 as part of an aid package. In the last
     quarter of 2008, the company spent more than $1 million on federal
     lobbying.

   The print version of the story also included a chart that listed all
   of the lobbying expenditures by TARP recipients, but I don't see that
   chart in the on-line story. General Motors spent about $6 million in
   lobbying funds over the last two quarters of 2008. Although that seems
   like a lot of money, it is a drop in bucket compared to the payback
   that they have received.

   BB&T were notable (as is often the case) on the chart because they
   made no lobbying expenditures (and my impression from what I've read
   is that they apparently were a bank that was strong-armed into taking
   TARP funds even though they didn't want them).

   Meanwhile, the President of Merrill Lynch has [1]been fired from his
   position at Bank of America as it has been reported that he
   accelerated "year-end" executive bonuses to get them paid out before
   the B of A merger became final--and subsequent request for government
   TARP funds. He also spent $1.2 million to redecorate his office last
   year. It really does make me wonder sometimes how these guys can sleep
   at night.

   Once the pork-barrel stimulus plan is finalized I expect we'll see a
   whole new interesting chart on the links between political
   contributions and stimulus expenditures.