Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Heinzerling to EPA:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233080273

   Another legal academic is reportedly signing up with the Obama
   Administration. According to [1]this report, Georgetown University's
   Lisa Heinzerling is joining the Environmental Protection Agency to
   advise EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. Heinzerling was the lead author
   of the [2]Commonwealth of Massachusetts' merits brief in Massachusetts
   v. EPA. While I disagreed with much of her argument, I recognize that
   the brief was a sterling example of effective legal advocacy -- and
   her side did win the case, which should say something.

   One interesting aspect of this appointment is that Heinzerling is a
   prominent opponent of reliance upon cost-benefit analysis to evaluate
   environmental regulations. She has written several articles (many of
   which are available [3]here) and a [4]book criticizing cost-benefit
   analysis and [5]testified against confirmation of John Graham to be
   Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs in
   the Bush Administration. Heinzerlng's views on cost-benefit analysis
   put her at odds with President Obama's own pick to head OIRA, [6]Cass
   Sunstein. Heinzerling has critiqued Sunstein's support for
   cost-benefit (as in [7]this paper), and Sunstein has critiqued her
   work as well. Concluding [8]a review of Heinzerling's book Priceless
   (written with Frank Ackerman), Sunstein wrote:

     In the end, Ackerman and Heinzerling's argument seems to me to
     suffer from the authors' anachronistic and even Manichaean view of
     the regulatory world. In their rendition, regulators can either
     stop evildoers from hurting people or prevent serious threats to
     human health and the environment. That is the right way to think
     about some environmental problems, to be sure--but most of the time
     environmental questions do not involve evildoers or sins. They
     involve complex questions about how to control risks that stem both
     from nature and from mostly beneficial products, such as
     automobiles, cell phones, household appliances, and electricity. In
     resolving those questions, we cannot rely entirely on cost-benefit
     analysis, but we will do a lot better, morally as well as
     practically, with it than without it.