Posted by Ilya Somin:
Journalist Carla Main Responds to Developer Who is Suing Her Claiming that She
Defamed Him in Book Chronicling His Effort to Acquire Property Through Eminent
Domain:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233096774

   A few weeks ago, I [1]blogged about a lawsuit in which Texas developer
   H. Robert Royall is suing legal journalist Carla Main for alleged
   defamation. Royall had previously lobbied the city of Freeport, Texas
   to take private property by eminent domain so that he could use it to
   build a luxury marina. Main wrote[2] a compelling book about the case,
   and now Royall is suing her for defamation because she described his
   lobbying efforts in an unflattering light. Even more absurdly, Royall
   is also suing University of Chicago law professor Richard Epstein for
   writing a favorable blurb for the book.

   In [3]this recent op ed coauthored with her publisher, Roger Kimball,
   Main gives her view of the case and the threat it poses to property
   rights and freedom of speech.

   It is highly unlikely that Royall will actually win this case.
   However, such lawsuits can still serve to stifle criticism of
   questionable takings by imposing steep litigation costs on critics.
   Main and Epstein are fortunate to have free representation from the
   Institute for Justice, the libertarian public interest law firm that
   has litigated numerous property rights cases, including Kelo v. City
   of New London. Most other eminent domain critics and threatened
   property owners are not so fortunate.

   CONFLICT OF INTEREST WATCH: Richard Epstein and I have worked together
   on various eminent domain issues, though not on this case. I also have
   done a variety of eminent domain-related pro bono work for the
   Institute for Justice, which is representing Epstein and Main.