Posted by Orin Kerr:
En Banc Eighth Circuit Backs Off Holding Allowing Thermal Imaging Device With
Reasonable Suspicion:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_01_25-2009_01_31.shtml#1233339855

   I had criticized the 8th Circuit's panel decision in United States v.
   Kattaria [1]here, back in October 2007, and [2]today the en banc court
   handed down a new decision that allows the evidence without reaching
   the issue of whether the police can get a "reasonable suspicion
   warrant" to use an imaging device (effectively removing the panel's
   holding from the books).
     Chief Judge Loken, the author of the original panel decision, adds
   in a concurrence that partly sticks to his guns from the original
   panel holding but partly would amend it. Loken argues that the
   relevant Supreme Court precedents should be read relatively narrowly
   in a way that leaves open whether a lower standard than probable cause
   is allowed. He then writes:

     On further reflection, I have concluded that the panel was unwise
     to borrow the concept of "reasonable suspicion" to reflect the
     quantum of probable cause that should be required in this
     situation. Reasonable suspicion is not focused to the task at hand,
     and it has never been applied to the warrant-issuing process.
     Rather, the question for the issuing magistrate (and reviewing
     courts) when considering an application like Agent Perry�s initial
     warrant affidavit should be whether there is probable cause to
     believe that search of specific property -- the heat being emitted
     from a home -- in a specific manner -- by exterior thermal imaging
     -- for purely investigative purposes will uncover evidence of
     on-going criminal activity. Utility records showing abnormally high
     electric power usage are strong evidence supporting such an
     application but, without more, are unlikely to establish probable
     cause because of the many innocent uses of electricity. Cf. United
     States v. Olson, 21 F.3d 847, 850 (8th Cir.), cert. denied, 513
     U.S. 888 (1994). But the �something more� should simply be enough
     particularized suspicion to justify the minimal intrusion caused by
     the exterior thermal imaging of heat emissions, without regard to
     whether there is probable cause to issue a warrant to conduct a
     full physical search.

     I'm not sure I understand this. On one hand, the standard for
   probable cause is probable cause to believe that the actual search
   that will be conducted will uncover the evidence described in the
   warrant based on the actual place that will be searched. As a result,
   the normal probable cause standard to justify use of a thermal imaging
   device should be what Loken describes in the middle of the paragraph
   above: "probable cause to believe that search of specific property --
   the heat being emitted from a home -- in a specific manner -- by
   exterior thermal imaging -- for purely investigative purposes will
   uncover evidence of on-going criminal activity."
     But I'm not sure I follow the idea of permitting a warrant based on
   "enough particularized suspicion to justify the minimal intrusion
   caused by the exterior thermal imaging of heat emissions, without
   regard to whether there is probable cause to issue a warrant to
   conduct a full physical search." Probable cause to issue a warrant to
   conduct a full physical search would mean probable cause to believe
   that a full physical search would provide the evidence described in
   the warrant. That won't necessarily be the same as PC to use the
   imaging device, of course. But it won't necessarily be a harder
   standard to meet, either: It depends on the investigation and what the
   police know, and it could be easier or hard to meet depending on the
   facts. To the extent Judge Loken would want courts to apply a lower
   standard of probable cause, one that factors in the minimial intrusion
   of imaging devices relative to full physical searches, I don't think
   the Fourth Amendment allows it.