Posted by Eugene Volokh:
The Etymological Fallacy and the Etymology of "Etymology":
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_03_22-2009_03_28.shtml#1238019130

   I've often warned people against the [1]etymological fallacy -- the
   erroneous assertion "that what a word �really means� [or should mean
   -EV] is whatever it once meant long ago, perhaps even in another
   language."

   But I hadn't realized, until a few days ago, that the word "etymology"
   itself comes from a [2]Greek root meaning "true," and hence signifies
   "studying the true meanings and values of words." So the etymological
   fallacy is what happens when one fallaciously equates the etymology of
   a word with what the etymology of "etymology" would suggest -- the
   true meaning of a word.