Posted by Todd Zywicki:
Did the Fed Cause the Housing Bubble?
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_03_29-2009_04_04.shtml#1238374396

   I was traveling over the weekend and so didn't get a chance to post on
   Friday about my latest piece in the WSJ, a contribution to an
   Editorial Page symposium on [1]Alan Greenspan's argument a few weeks
   ago that the Fed didn't cause the housing bubble.

   My argument that the Fed did is in the WSJ, [2]"Low Rates Led to
   ARMs". It is about halfway down the page.

   Some readers will remember that during the fall I posted [3]here the
   chart that provides the data that I summarize in my Friday column.

   In a nutshell, the economic argument is that the substitution by
   consumers of ARMs for FRMs provides the economic mechanism for Federal
   Reserve short-term monetary policy to affect housing prices that both
   Greenspan and John Taylor had not discussed. Greenspan focused on the
   constancy of the 30-year rate and Taylor focused on the interest rate
   without providing a mechanism for converting short-term rates into
   housing prices (which was Greenspan's basic response to Taylor).