Posted by Eugene Volokh:
"Come on You Homosexual Demon":
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_28-2009_07_04.shtml#1246305919

   That's a line from an apparent "gay exorcism," according to [1]ABC
   News. The article saus that "Robin McHaelen, executive director of the
   Manchester-Conn., True Colors," "a nonprofit group for gay and lesbian
   youth that has mentored [a teenager] for about a year," "said she was
   mandated by law to report the exorcism to the state Department of
   Children and Families, which she said is now investigating."

   This sort of action sounds quite silly to me, since the notion of
   demonic possession strikes me as about as sensible as the notion of
   werewolves, vampires, or witches. I also think there was nothing
   immoral about homosexuality, but even if I took the opposite view on
   the morality, I'd think that exorcisms would hardly be the way to stop
   the problem.

   Yet it appears that others hold a different view, and I can't see what
   the state can "investigate" here. It's not any physical violence to
   the child, or so it appears from the video. The writhing and apparent
   vomiting do not seem to stem from physical attacks, but presumably
   from the subject's feeling that the exorcism does have some effect (or
   perhaps his feigning such a feeling). Nor can the state react to the
   exorcism on the grounds that there's something wrong with the
   religious nature of the event; such a singling out of religious
   practices for special action would [2]violate the Free Exercise
   Clause. And the complainant's argument about how the parents are
   "murdering this kid's soul" helps show, I think, the weakness of
   argument by metaphor.

   The only plausible argument for restricting such behavior, it seems to
   me, is that attempts to "cure" a 16-year-old of homosexuality (or
   perhaps specifically such attempts when done in front of a group of
   other people, and posted to the Internet) are so psychologically
   harmful and justified that they constitute child abuse. But that, I
   think, is taking the notion of punishable child abuse -- a sensible
   notion, of course, when properly limited -- way too far. Parents do
   much that is good, some that is bad, and some that is either good or
   bad depending on your ideology, through psychological pressure on
   their children, including pressure that's done through groups to which
   the parent and the child belongs. It is the very rare circumstance, it
   seems to me, that justifies intruding into parental decisionmaking
   absent serious physical abuse or neglect (e.g., denial of medical
   care, beatings, sexual contact, and so on).

   I am, of course, aware that some teenagers may commit suicide based
   partly on hostile reactions to their homosexuality. But teenagers,
   unfortunately, apparently commit suicide based on many factors, such
   as parental pressure to succeed at school, reactions to parental
   divorce, and so on. Treating the possibility of such awful outcomes as
   a basis for punishing the parents (or stripping them of parental
   rights) strikes me as an unacceptable attempt by the government to
   micromanage child-rearing, and a very bad precedent for the future.

   Fortunately, so far we have just a complaint to the Department, not
   any government action. But I thought I'd pass this along, since it has
   hit the news and strikes me as a noteworthy incident, though one in
   which the right legal answer should be pretty clear.