Posted by Kenneth Anderson:
Cross Border Aspects of
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_28-2009_07_04.shtml#1246417638

   the Obama administration's white paper on financial regulation reform.
   (I posted a version of this over at Opinio Juris, but I wanted to put
   it up here, as I plan to do a series of posts commenting on various
   parts of the Treasury Department's new report. In some ways, this is a
   bit backwards, to start with the cross-border aspects, given that they
   occupy the smallest part of the report. But let me get it up now, and
   then go to the beginning and make a variety of comments in several
   posts.)

   I spent the plane flights back and forth to Prague over the weekend
   mostly reading, uninterrupted and straight through, the Treasury
   Department�s new report, [1]Financial Regulatory Reform: A New
   Foundation: Rebuilding Financial Supervision and Regulation (June
   2009). (I�ve linked here to the 88 page pdf, which curiously seems to
   be undated; a useful resource overall is the new Treasury Department
   website, [2]financialstability.gov.) Here I want to comment briefly on
   the international and cross border aspects of the Obama
   administration�s reform proposal.

   The specifically transborder aspects of the reform proposal are one of
   the five fundamental principles for regulatory reform underlying the
   proposal. They fall into broad categories that approximately mirror
   what that the proposal says domestically:

   raise common regulatory standards for financial institutions,
   particularly capital standards and liquidity buffers;

   raise common regulatory standards for supervision of banking
   institutions but also any other financial institution systemically
   connected to the financial system, particularly with regards to
   leverage, but also with regards to compensation and attendant
   incentives to risk-taking and moral hazard;

   undertake financial markets regulatory reform, particularly to create
   conditions for the emergence of central exchanges for credit
   derivatives, regulation of securitization, and other financial markets
   reforms;

   raise and develop common standards for accounting and measurement of
   financial indicators, including fair value (�mark to market�)
   accounting; and

   various other matters, such as the role and regulation of rating
   agencies (some of these other matters appear to be quite unrelated to
   financial regulation reform as such, e.g., terrorism financing).

   As far as the proposals go on their own, perhaps the most striking
   aspect is the lack of a position on the so-called �rules� versus
   �principles� debate. This was almost certainly a deliberate
   agnosticism on the issue. Reduced to a sentence, this is the
   fundamental question of the approach to regulation - go with specific
   rules (the historically American approach, and which tends to mean
   rules that get more and more specific over time) or a more
   discretionary-based use of principles that leave much flexibility to
   regulators, and which relies in part on the willingness of regulated
   parties to respond to regulatory �signals� short of a court order or
   the threat of legal action. The issue is not addressed as such in the
   white paper, although the thrust of the reform proposals seems to
   indicate more specific rules that would be common standards for all
   leading participants; perhaps this is compatible with either a
   rules-based or principles-based approach, but perhaps not. (Steve
   Schwarcz has a useful paper from 2008 on this topic, �The Principles
   Paradox�; it serves both as an introduction to it and an intervention
   in the debate.)

   As to implementation, the white paper is striking for not offering or
   endorsing any kind of binding international mechanism. Recall that for
   many governments and world leaders - Sarkozy, for example - the two
   previous global economic summits were opportunities to press for new,
   or newly-empowered, economic institutions able to enforce common
   standards and rules in matters running from accounting standards to
   (at the most ambitious) a common global reserve currency. The US
   Treasury position embraces none of that. Instead, it endorses
   international regulatory coordination, regulatory cooperation,
   accomplished largely through networks of national regulators.

   That seems to me the right approach as a matter of policy and not just
   practicalities of politics, but it is striking that there is not even
   a nod in the direction of any kind of binding regime or even genuinely
   binding common standards. The proposal does embrace the commitment
   from the last 2008 global economic summit for a �college� of financial
   supervisors - in effect, a network of national financial regulators -
   but the proposal for this �college� as finally adopted is a pure
   �network� one, not one with any binding powers. The Treasury white
   paper embraces a substantive transnational cognate for each of the
   essential proposals for internal US reform, but then treats them as
   common, or homologous, standards to be worked out by leading economies
   internally - presumably on the assumption that each will conclude that
   a roughly common standard is in its interest - without suggesting any
   kind of binding regime, let alone binding governing body.

   Given that general �network� and �common standards� approach, it is
   unsurprising that the white paper does not address the role of the
   Bretton Woods institutions. It does not discuss proposals for the IMF
   to take on new roles, for example. Perhaps least surprising of all,
   nothing in the proposal suggests that the IMF or anyone else offer
   something besides the US dollar as the global reserve currency. The
   white paper does not address issues specific to the developing world,
   nor does it address issues specific to the so-called �BRICs� (Brazil,
   Russia, India, and China). Again, this is unsurprising in a paper that
   is about financial institution and market regulation, not monetary or
   fiscal policy. However, a question I suppose many outside the United
   States will have is whether the �networks� approach for elaborating
   and persuading countries to adopt roughly common, or at least
   �homologous,� regulatory standards will be enough to avoid regulatory
   arbitrage by financial institution and financial market players among
   global economies.

   My own view is that the white paper takes the right approach to the
   transborder question by adopting the networks approach. The
   fundamental differences of economic conditions for leading players -
   China, the United States, Europe and its various key economies, Japan,
   etc. - mean that they will not share common ground on some core
   issues. But arguably most of those core issues are monetary and fiscal
   policy, rather than financial regulation on its own, thus leaving
   sufficient room for common, or at least homologous, standards in this
   area. And if there were not sufficient agreement for common standards,
   it seems quite unlikely that the solution to that would be the
   creation of a highly defection-prone, purportedly �binding� standard.

   The leading risks, it seems to me (on first read, anyway), posed by
   the networks approach are:

   First, the �common� standards reached by the networks turns out to be
   a little of this and a little of that, but not a consistent approach
   with respect to any particular leading economy, so that the common
   standard is so much a common denominator among unlike economies that
   it serves well no one in particular.

   Second, the elaboration of a networks-based common standard promises
   more than it can actually deliver in the way of implementation - but
   it leads to a sense that all is well because a network has pronounced
   common standards, whereas in fact, regulatory arbitrage among
   countries is rife, yet it is hard to say so without giving political
   offense to one�s network partners.

   Third, the collective of regulators might simply get it badly wrong,
   as [3]George Soros noted in a recent op-ed in the Financial Times (to
   which we might add, Basel II capital adequacy standards have not
   exactly come out unscathed from the current crisis).

   That said, and leaving aside other kinds of criticisms of the Treasury
   approach (which are far from insignificant, but not taken up here, as
   being about domestic US policy), the networks approach taken by the
   Obama administration seems to me the right one. Both politically right
   and right as a matter of the correct policy approach.