Posted by Kenneth Anderson:
The Declining Marginal Utility of Money
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_28-2009_07_04.shtml#1246587321

   among high income taxpayers in California.

   The FB or Twitter tweet or similar social networking thing said
   something close to (I'm deliberately obscuring the identifiable bits)
   "willing to pay higher taxes if that's what it takes to solve the
   California budget crisis." This is admirable and I'm entirely certain
   true of said individual. Being willing to pay higher taxes is not
   necessarily a bad thing, just as it is not necessarily a good thing;
   it depends on why, what for, what society gets for it, and other
   things.

   However, I will note that - for reasons related to FOIA - this
   particular person's California state public sector salary for 2005 was
   publicly known to be in excess of $300,000 a year. Which I don't in
   the least begrudge; I wish I were paid that as an academic. But it
   does seem to me a little easier at over $300k to announce oneself
   willing to pay more in taxes.

   I never used to believe declining marginal utility theory - having a
   somewhat atavistic view that it wouldn't surprise me if rich people
   were actually made happier by each additional dollar of income, rather
   than becoming marginally more indifferent. Money can quite possibly
   buy happiness; more money can, I perversely suspect on no evidence
   whatever, buy more happiness. Why should it ever stop? Money just
   converts to power and power to converts to glory, as Hobbes or someone
   said (I paraphrase). If it's not one kind of end, it's another. Why
   should its utility decline? I have always found the proposition that
   its utility declines a weird sort of moralism among the theorists of
   economic rationality.

   But I do think there's something not quite right about the wealthy
   announcing themselves willing to pay more in taxes - reason being
   that, in the circumstances in California, what one is really
   announcing, under cover of talking about oneself, is that everyone
   else, including people making, say, a respectable, but not
   extraordinary 100k a year, should also be paying more taxes, and if
   they're not willing to, there is impliedly something slightly
   antisocial about them. Or at least less sociable than the rich(er)
   person willing to pay more.

   Maybe that's being unfair, and this is purely an invitation to
   altruism among the rich - but it seems to me more likely, given the
   nature of where the money would have to come from to make a
   difference, absent serious spending cuts, that it is actual a kind of
   sacrifice-bunt to call for extracting money from people less well-off
   than oneself.

   My kid, who is very, very attuned to such things, would probably say
   that this kind of announcement is best understood not as declining
   marginal utility, but ... passive aggression.