Posted by Ilya Somin:
Obama to Meet with Russian Opposition Leaders:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_06_28-2009_07_04.shtml#1246657448

   Like [1]Cathy Young, I worry that President Obama might be overly
   solicitous of the interests of Russia's authoritarian regime. In this
   respect, he could potentially repeat the mistakes of President Bush,
   who - until relatively late in his presidency - tried very hard to
   develop a close relationship Russia's ex-KGB ruler Vladimir Putin
   (including ending US criticism of Russian atrocities in Chechnya,
   signing a nuclear arms limitation pact on terms favoring Russia, and
   [2]waxing eloquent about how he had looked into Putin's eyes and saw
   an "honest and trustworthy" partner with a wonderful "soul"), while
   getting few concessions from the Russians in return.

   President Obama's [3]decision to meet with Russian opposition leaders
   during his trip to Moscow is, however, a small hopeful sign:

     President Barack Obama has invited several prominent members of the
     Russian opposition, including United Civil Front leader Garry
     Kasparov, for a meeting in Moscow. Boris Nemtsov, a chair of the
     Solidarity opposition movement, has also been invited to the
     meeting, set to take place on July 7th at the Ritz Carlton hotel.
     The format of the event was still unclear.

     �Of course, this will be interesting,� Kasparov said on the Ekho
     Moskvy radio station. �The previous American administration didn�t
     dare to do this....�

     Obama will travel to Moscow on July 6th for meetings with the
     Kremlin as well as business and civil society leaders. A meeting
     with Russia�s leading human rights advocates has been scheduled at
     the Metropol hotel, the location of a consultation between
     representatives from NGOs in the US and Russia.

     Earlier, Boris Nemtsov argued that it was essential for Obama to
     meet with opposition forces in Russia. �If the White House agrees
     to Putin�s suggestion to speak only with pro-Putin organizations��
     this will mean that Putin has won, but not only that: Putin will
     become be assured that Obama is weak,� he said.

   [4]Falling oil prices and the financial crisis have reduced Putin's
   popularity and weakened his regime's grip on power. Now more than
   ever, it is important for the US to avoid putting all of our eggs in
   the Putin basket and encourage pro-Western liberal opposition forces
   in Russia.

   That doesn't mean we should never cooperate with Putin on issues of
   common interest. For example, if Putin suddenly shows a willingness to
   work with the US on Iran, North Korea, and other issues, Obama should
   pursue any such opportunities that might arise. Effective foreign
   policy sometimes requires cooperation with unsavory regimes. While the
   current Russian government is odious, it isn't nearly as bad as its
   communist predecessors, or as repressive as the governments of Saudi
   Arabia, Egypt, and several other US allies.

   So far, however, the Putin regime has done virtually nothing to
   reciprocate either Bush's many overtures or Obama's more recent
   efforts to press the "reset button" on US-Russian relations. As
   opposition leader Boris Nemtsov suggested in the passage quoted above,
   perhaps Putin will be in a more cooperative mood if we avoid looking
   weak and demonstrate that we have other options. Even if he doesn't,
   we have little to lose by working to foster liberal forces in Russia.
   And if the current regime's popularity continues to decline, we have a
   lot to gain from working to promote liberal alternatives to [5]the
   strongly anti-Western communists and ultra-nationalists who are the
   other main alternative to the status quo in Russia. Obama's meeting
   with the Russian opposition leaders is a small, but symbolically
   valuable step in the right direction.