Posted by David Bernstein:
The Most Important Civil Rights Leader You've Never Heard Of:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_05-2009_07_11.shtml#1246925302

   That's an apt description of Dr. T.R.M. Howard, a civil rights pioneer
   in Mississippi and later Chicago. My friend (and University of Alabama
   history professor) David Beito and his wife Linda have written what
   promises to be a very interesting biography of Dr. Howard. Howard was
   a fascinating character who, among other achievements, played a very
   important role in trying to bring the murderers of Emitt Till to
   justice. I'll have more to say once I've had a chance to finish the
   book, but for now you can find interviews with David about the book
   [1]here and [2]here.