Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Strong Words on Sotomayor:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_12-2009_07_18.shtml#1247619912

   From [1]Part II of the Federalist Society's "Originally Speaking"
   Debate on the Sotomayor nomination:

     Speaking only for myself (I guess that's obvious), I was completely
     disgusted by Judge Sotomayor's testimony today. If she was not
     perjuring herself, she is intellectually unqualified to be on the
     Supreme Court. If she was perjuring herself, she is morally
     unqualified. How could someone who has been on the bench for
     seventeen years possibly believe that judging in hard cases
     involves no more than applying the law to the facts? First year law
     students understand within a month that many areas of the law are
     open textured and indeterminate�that the legal material frequently
     (actually, I would say always) must be supplemented by contestable
     presuppositions, empirical assumptions, and moral judgments. To
     claim otherwise�to claim that fidelity to uncontested legal
     principles dictates results�is to claim that whenever Justices
     disagree among themselves, someone is either a fool or acting in
     bad faith. What does it say about our legal system that in order to
     get confirmed Judge Sotomayor must tell the lies that she told
     today? That judges and justices must live these lies throughout
     their professional carers?

     Perhaps Justice Sotomayor should be excused because our official
     ideology about judging is so degraded that she would sacrifice a
     position on the Supreme Court if she told the truth. Legal
     academics who defend what she did today have no such excuse. They
     should be ashamed of themselves.

   These are strong words for Sotomayor. So who wrote them? Ed Whelan?
   Wendy Long? No. [2]Georgetown law professor Louis Michael Seidman.