Posted by Ilya Somin:
Testifying with David Cone:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_12-2009_07_18.shtml#1247722049

   One of the stranger aspects of the Sotomayor confirmation hearings is
   that I will be [1]testifying on the same panel as former major league
   baseball pitcher [2]David Cone. Cone spent six years with Judge
   Sotomayor's beloved New York Yankees, and he will be testifying about
   how her confirmation will serve the nefarious interests of baseball's
   Evil Empire. No, just kidding! I assume he will actually be testifying
   in praise of [3]Sotomayor's 1995 decision, as a district judge, to end
   the baseball strike on terms favorable to the players. Cone was for
   years a prominent figure in the MLBPA, the major league player's union
   that was the winning party in the 1995 litigation.

   Even [4]some conservatives have criticized the Republicans' decision
   to invite firefighter Frank Ricci to testify against Sotomayor,
   arguing that former litigants don't have any legal expertise to
   contribute, and are merely there to make dubious emotional appeals.
   Cone's testimony, on the other hand, is a case of a victorious
   litigant being invited to testify on behalf of a judge who ruled in
   his favor. Whether he contributes more or better legal insights than
   Frank Ricci remains to be seen.

   I for one am happy that Cone will be there, since I am huge baseball
   fan and it will be my first ever chance to meet an all star player. In
   addition to pitching for the Yankees, Mets, and Royals, Cone also
   spent a year with my favorite team, the Red Sox, at the ripe old age
   of 38. Although I vaguely remember him as being ineffective that year,
   [5]the data show that he actually posted a 9-7 record and an ERA 5%
   better than league average.