Posted by Eugene Volokh:
Do Lexis and Westlaw Infringe Copyright When They Post Briefs Filed in Court?
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_19-2009_07_25.shtml#1248389303

   A lawyer [1]says yes. The argument for infringement is actually
   moderately strong. Like most other documents, briefs are protected by
   copyright the moment they are written. The fact that they're filed in
   court doesn't waive any copyright. Lexis and Westlaw's distribution of
   the briefs is thus presumptively copyright infrigngement.

   The question is whether the commercial posting of the briefs is fair
   use; and fair use law is, as usual, vague enough that there's no clear
   answer. I do think that the posting is quite valuable to researchers
   and to others who are trying to figure out what actually happened in a
   case, and why courts reached the results they did, and I think courts
   can consider this social value in the fair use analysis. It's also
   quite unlikely that allowing such posting would materially diminish
   the incentive to write good briefs, or the market value of a good
   brief; that too is potentially relevant to the fair use inquiry. But
   the case isn't open and shut, because there are no precedents (at
   least that I know of) that are clearly on point, because the various
   fair use factors seem to cut in both directions, and because fair use
   analysis is so vague in such situations.

   Thanks to Kevin Gerson of the UCLA Law Library for the pointer.