Posted by David Kopel:
Left/Right agreement: Neither Obama's health care, nor congressional
Republicans, are very good:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_19-2009_07_25.shtml#1248453787

   This week's [1]National Journal poll of political bloggers asked
   "Grade President Obama's handling of health care reform." The Left
   gave him a C, while the Right awarded an F.
   Taking the view that you usually can't get a good grade without doing
   the reading, I voted "F", and wrote: "Perhaps he should learn what's
   in the House bill before unleashing his political machine to demand
   that people support it. The bill would break many of his campaign
   promises, including the promise to protect people who want to keep
   their current insurance."
   The second question asked: "Grade congressional Republicans'
   effectiveness so far this year as the "loyal opposition." The Left
   gave a grade of "D", while the Right supplied a "C-." This is close
   enough to make "D+" into a trans-ideological consensus.
   I was outside the consensus, however, and gave the Republicans a B:
   "They have done a reasonably good job at staying united. Their best
   move was making Obama and the Dems own the 'stimulus,' so the fact
   that the economy is not responding as 'stimulus' backers promised ends
   up hurting the bill's Democratic advocates. More generally, though,
   the Republicans are benefiting from over-reaching by Pelosi et al,
   particularly on the climate tax bill."