Posted by David Bernstein:
Are Human Rights Watch Officials Just Thin-Skinned? (No!):
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_19-2009_07_25.shtml#1248569574

   [1]In a previous post, I criticized Human Rights Watch Director Ken
   Roth's characterization of the criticism HRW receives from pro-Israel
   critics. Roth wrote, in an email to Jeffrey Goldberg, "We report on
   Israel. Its supporters fight back with lies and deception." I've also
   noted that (at least according to NGO Watch, and to my knowledge), HRW
   has never officially recanted or apologized for any of the errors or
   distortions critics have identified in its reporting on Israel.

   There are two possible explanations for the above. One is that HRW is
   implicitly hostile to Israel and its supporters. The other is that
   Roth and colleagues are just arrogant you-know-whats who don't take
   criticism well, and would react the same way regardless of the source
   of the criticism.

   It was therefore enlightening for a reader to point me to a prior
   controversy involving HRW and the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. HRW
   criticized Palestinian officials for urging civilians to serve as
   human shields. Anti-Israel commentators, [2]led by rabidly anti-Israel
   activist Norman Finkelstein, went ballistic.

   So how did HRW react? Did Ken Roth say, "We report on Palestine. Its
   supporters fight back with lies and deception." Did Middle East
   director [3]Sarah Leah Whitson accuse HRW's critics of racism? Not
   exactly. [4]HRW instead issued an abject apology. In fact, if you try
   to find the original press release criticizing human shields on its
   website, you instead find a page that first has the lengthy apology,
   and only then reprints the original press release.