Posted by Jonathan Adler:
"Profit" Is Not a Dirty Word:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_07_26-2009_08_01.shtml#1248992720

   Yale law professor [1]Stephen Carter writes in defense of corporate
   profits.

     High profits are excellent news. When corporate earnings reach
     record levels, we should be celebrating. The only way a firm can
     make money is to sell people what they want at a price they are
     willing to pay. If a firm makes lots of money, lots of people are
     getting what they want.

     To the country, profit is a benefit. Record profit means record
     taxes paid. But put that aside. When profits are high, firms are
     able to reinvest, expand and hire. And profits accrue to the
     benefit of those who own stocks: overwhelmingly, pension funds and
     mutual funds. In other words, high corporate profits today signal
     better retirements tomorrow.

     Another reason to celebrate profit is the incentive it creates.
     When profits can be made, entrepreneurs provide more of needed
     goods and services. . . .

     When political anger over profit reduces the willingness of
     investors to take risks, the nation suffers. . . .

     And although it is easy to be dismayed by excess, trying to
     regulate profit makes things worse. Capital flows to places where
     returns are highest. The more exercised our political leaders
     become when profits rise, the more investment capital will remain
     abroad.