Posted by David Bernstein:
Ayn Rand Tidbit:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_13-2009_09_19.shtml#1252893186

   I'm reading a review copy of Anne Heller's forthcoming biography of
   Ayn Rand, which so far appears to be meticulously research and
   fairminded. One tidbit I'll share with Rand-watchers: Heller surmises
   that the the most likely source for Rand's adopted first name (Rand
   was born Alice Rosenbaum in Russia, Ayn Rand was the name she adopted
   in the U.S.) is the Hebrew word "Ayin." Rand's father apparently had a
   Russian/Hebrew/Yiddish pet name for her which started with "Ayin" and
   meant "bright eyes." And everyone who met Rand remarks that the first
   think you noticed about her is her eyes, so it makes sense.