Posted by Jonathan Adler:
Protectionist Threat Level: Orange:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_13-2009_09_19.shtml#1252968091

   Daniel Drezner has resisted the temptation to label the Obama
   Administration "protectionist," but [1]now he's finding it more
   difficult. He's particularly concerned about the recent tire tariffs,
   announced Friday, because it's not "your garden-variety protectionism"
   and China's response has been particularly strong and swift. He also
   thinks the Obama Administration will have difficulty reversing course
   and (rightly) fears the protectionist elements within the Obama's
   base: "If I knew this was where the Obama administration would stop
   with this sort of nonsense, I'd feel a bit queasy but chalk it up to
   routine trade politics. When I look at Obama's base, however,
   queasiness starts turning into true nausea."

   More from noted right-wing Obama critic [2]Brad DeLong.