Posted by Ilya Somin:
Judge Stephen Larson's Resignation Does not Show that Federal Judges are
Underpaid:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_20-2009_09_26.shtml#1253425067

   Federal District Judge Stephen Larson's [1]recent resignation from the
   bench has led to [2]renewed claims that federal judges are underpaid
   and should get a pay increase (see also [3]here). Larson cited low pay
   as the main reason for his decision to resign. I can understand
   Larson's desire to for a higher salary. But the evidence strongly
   suggests that current pay rates are enough to maintain a high-quality
   judiciary. I have previously written several posts defending that view
   (see [4]here, [5]here, [6]here, and [7]here), and I remain
   unrepentant.

   Currently, [8]federal court of appeals judges make $179,500 per year
   and district judges $169,300; Supreme Court associate justices get
   $208,000 and the Chief Justice clocks in at $217,400. It is true that
   these salaries are less than what many judges could make as partners
   at big law firms. However, it's important to consider the total
   compensation of judges, not just their salaries. Once you factor in
   judges' imprssive nonsalary compensation - [9]prestige, shorter
   working hours, interesting work, generous pensions, lifetime job
   security, and freedom from any need to deal with clients - the rewards
   of being a federal judge are quite competitive with the alternatives.
   That explains why so many talented lawyers lobby hard to get
   judgeships, and why judicial resignations are vanishingly rare.
   [10]Between 1990 and 2005, only 21 federal judges resigned from the
   bench before reaching the retirement age, a rate of attrition less
   than 0.3% per year.

   Judge Larson's early resignation made news in part because it is so
   extraordinarily unusual. There are numerous outstanding lawyers who
   are willing to be federal judges at the current pay rate. Judge Larson
   is unusual for another reason: [11]he has seven children. Unlike some
   of the commenters to [12]Orin's post, I don't presume to tell Larson
   and and his wife how many children they should have. But it is obvious
   that a family with seven children faces more difficult financial
   challenges than one with the more typical one to three children. It is
   certainly possible to support seven children on a district judge's
   salary. I know several judges and legal scholars with that number of
   children who seem to be doing fine. But it's not an easy task to
   support so many kinds. Very few prominent lawyers have as large a
   family as Judge Larson. Thus, even if judicial pay really is too low
   for his family, that still doesn't prove that judicial pay is too low
   overall.