Posted by David Post:
Should Lawmakers, Um, Read the Laws They're Voting On?:
http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2009_09_20-2009_09_26.shtml#1253732467

   Sounds like something you'd ask in a third-grade civics class. But an
   odd [1]editorial in today's Washington Post, takes to task "a group of
   well-meaning professional activists -- and, so far, over nearly 60,000
   online petitioners" who have demanded that members of Congress [2]sign
   a pledge "never to vote on any bill unless they have read every word
   of it." While the activists "have a point," the Post concedes, their
   "proposal would bring government to a standstill." No reasonable
   functioning human being, the Post (correctly) points out, could
   possibly read every word of every bill that comes out of Congress, and
   legislators need time to do other things -- to "hammer out
   legislation, draft amendments, interact with constituents, lead
   hearings . . . At some point, it's fine for members of Congress to
   rely on expert staff members."

   I suspect that there's a fairly clear divide among people on this
   question. Some, like me, think it's pretty obvious: you can't know
   what a law means unless you've read its language, and you shouldn't be
   voting on a law if you don't know what it means. Seems pretty basic,
   actually. It's a task that, I would think, is primary -- drafting
   amendments, and interacting with constituents, and the many other
   things members of Congress do, are secondary; Law-Making is what they
   are in Washington (or, for that matter, in Albany, or Harrisburg, or
   Springfield) to do, and the idea that they should "rely on experts" to
   do their job is pretty spectacularly wrong. But I know that there are
   plenty of people who agree with what the editorial is saying, and who
   think that there's no point in demanding the impossible.

   I'm not a fool - I know full well that not a single member of Congress
   read every word of, say, the 1,427-page Waxman-Markley energy bill.
   But I think we give up something valuable if we accept that as
   acceptable behavior. I guess it didn't occur to the editorialists at
   the Post that if members of Congress actually tried to live up to this
   most basic obligation, that 1,427-page long bills would no longer be
   introduced, which would surely, all other things being equal, be a
   good thing for the Republic.