My point was not that any machine cannot be reverse engineered or even that
the theory behind construction of devices could be kept secret for a long
time. It was that a working machine correctly demonstrated to the right
people (that is why I suggested that Mark should give Jed a few) would
unleash a tidal wave of people offering deals, venture/manufacturing capital
etc. The fact that they would be able to invent their own machines in a
matter of months or a year or two is irrelevant. Commercial pressures would
demand that they hit the ground running and innovate and refine later. It
would be important to show devices to numerous competing factions
simultaneously to avoid any attempts to "buy up" the devices with a view to
burying them.
    I cannot see that any patent Mark could possibly get could get a
stranglehold on operation and manufacture of such devices somebody will
always figure out  a way round patents, particularly with these stakes
involved - I do not think Mark will ever be a trillionaire from this, but
multi millions or low billions  may be achievable.

Nick Palmer