Frank, your emphasis is on conservation of momentum, which is important but not sufficient. You also introduce the mechanism of sensing the existence of a fixed field, which is irrelevant.  I ask how a structure can form when the time needed for one part to sense the characteristics of another part takes millions of years to be communicated?  How does a star at one side of a galaxy know that its gravity and momentum are being exactly balanced by a star on the other side when this information takes a million years to pass between the two stars.  The existence of an unstructured cluster of stars is not hard to explain.  However, formation of a spiral galaxy is impossible unless the stars can communicate rapidly compared to their relative transitional speed.  This requires either gravity or some other force to be communicated much faster than is normal EM radiation.  I might add for your comment, that if this is true, all arguments about time based on the speed of light have no reality.

Ed

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The induced field is not superluminal.  Take the electric force for example.  The force between two charges is equal and opposite.  The system conserves momentum.  Now one charge is moved.  It moves into in the established field of the first electron and immediately fields the force.  No time delay is had.  The first electron, however, does not sense that the second has moved until the disturbance in the field reaches it at light speed.  It appears for the moment that momentum is not conserved.  What happens is the movement of the charges induces a local magnetic field.  The force imparted by the induced magnetic field is just the right strength to keep the momentum of the system balanced.  Nature goes through great lengths to conserve momentum.  I hope this answers your question.

Frank Z