On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Nick Reiter wrote:

> In the meantime, I kept the voltage the same and went
> to an even smaller diameter (about .001") hair wire
> for the cathode - wow.  In KOH, the plasma has now
> moved from the violet "potassium" color to a bright
> blue intense sheath along the wire.

I wonder if the temperature of the electrode is critical with this.  As I
understand the Mizuno "violent CF" experiment, the platinum foil must
first heat up before the interesting stuff begins.  Using thin,
low-thermal-mass electrodes would let their temperature rise quickly.
Perhaps it's just Leidenfrost effect, where the electrode surface remains
higher than 100C degrees and produces a very thin layer of steam.  An arc
would then exist in this layer, and because the high-resistance arc would
support a large voltage, it would electrically heat itself much more than
if the water directly contacts the electrode.  Imagine how hot any switch
becomes if you open the circuit partially and a spark appears between the
contacts.  Close the switch, and the heating effect vanishes.

If this is how it works, then if we heat the electrolyte to 100C
beforehand, and perhaps manually heat the electrode first with a torch,
will this eliminate any "wait time" at the start of the Mizuno experiment.

  Gene's original letter re. Mizuno experiment
  http://www.amasci.com/weird/anode.txt

PS

All of these sorts of "submerged arc" experiments are variants of...  the
Electric Pickle!

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-789-0775    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci