Brian Josephson's pathological science critique brings
up the sad situation of realizing that even the best
minds of science are inadequate to grasp a
fundamentally new phenomenon, a paradigm shift. And
"new" can go back decades – or, in the case of QM,
even further. How long will this one take?

Plato's metaphor of the cave is occasionally used to
express this state of affairs - i.e. when science
looks at paradigm shifts like LENR, or really anything
fundamentally different from what we were taught. The
‘shadow world’ of Plato’s cave may be a most apt
metaphor for this situation because we (at least the
non-skeptics) may well be trying to grasp certain
(4-space) phenomena when all we have to go on in our
education, language and experience is rooted 3-space,
with its limited horizon and deficient shared
vocabulary.

All 'science' can grasp now is shadows thrown on a
wall. It is hopeless enough to make one go nuts, and
anyone who has contemplated 4-space, or even tried to
find that missing common denominator in LENR, will
admit that it can literally drive one crazy. Certainly
it has gotten me most of the way there.

Plato's parable of the cave is also metaphor for how
ignorance can pass for knowledge in the short term..
No doubt one of the prisoners in the cave became a
self-appointed expert who "knew it all," the Park or
Randi of the cave, who probably had to hang himself
when he finally saw the light of day…. Good riddance.

LENR is also kind of like "Lethal Text" - a recurrent
theme in science fiction which goes all the way back
to "The Book."  In Exodus, God's name (or face) is
treated as if it was  lethal to behold or speak, and
was never to be fully written out. And shortly
thereafter, Eve’s “apple” served a similar thematic
purpose. LENR is also kind of like "Brain itch" or
"cognitive itch" which is that disturbing phenomenon
of a "song-in-the-head"...  in German, it is known as
an "ohrwurm" - or earworm.

Upon final discovery of truth, one wonders if the
'seeker's' mind is destroyed by the quest, or else can
be elevated to a higher plane, like the escapees of
Plato's cave… Does risking insanity to grasp unknown
truth presage a new kind of neo-spiritual rebirth, in
the sense that science and spirituality are ultimately
the same? I certainly hope so. Probably depends on
another biblical concept – Grace.

But not in science-fiction! at least not in most of
the stories where Lethal Text is more like the
“forbidden-fruit” kind of thing. In Piers Anthony's
"Macroscope", an alien message destroys the mind of
anyone intelligent enough to understand it. Author
Arthur (C. Clarke) used the earworm thing in a short
story called "The Ultimate Melody". In Neal
Stephenson's "Snow Crash", the lethal text is
transmitted by a computer virus, which gives hackers
their just desserts. I wish I had something similar
for spammers. The most famous version of this Lethal
Text, outside the Bible, probably goes back to the
"Sirens' song" of the “Odyssey.” It also plays a role
in the remake “A Space Odyssey.”

The old Odyssey is classy - in actually giving us the
contents of the lethal text, and we can only hope that
the final answers in the LENR dilemma will be amenable
to letting us pass on the knowledge to a future
generation of less-temperamental souls. Apparently the
Homeric text isn't so dangerous without the music…
which brings up both the “monolith” metaphor in 2001,
and the famous musical score. The monolith, cueing in
on both Plato and Homer, emits a siren-like
acknowledgement when it first sees sunlight. And like
the Siren of LENR, it is compelling and mind-bending.
None can see it and not be drawn to its lethal
Star-Child countenance. Kubrick's music continues the
theme in borrowing Strauss'  “Thus Spake
Zarathustra.'' Inspired by the words of Nietzsche, its
five bold notes embody the ascension of man into
dimension of gods – 4-space, of course. It is cold,
frightening, magnificent, deadly. Like grand music set
against the humbling insight of Nietzsche's superman
meme.

Music itself goes back to mankind's first entry into a
wider consciousness than survival - and progresses in
sophistication hand-in-hand with the passage of
consciousness to a higher level.  It is fun to think
of the pursuit of free-energy in the same context as
attaining that higher spiritual level. From the
standpoint of a future sustainable society, the two
are approaching tautology.

Man, I think its time to fire up the stereo with a
little Strauss... at the risk of catching another
ohrwurm.

Wow. Josephson sure got a few 'circuit's' going…

Jones