At 02:38 pm 25-08-04 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Jones Et Al.
>
>Sorry, I've been too busy torturing Powerpoint for an upcoming command
>performance to give the paper I linked more than a cursory examination.
>It seemed to address some specifics of how to calculate casimir forces
>from a given geometry. Frank complains that it reads like Ptolemy; my
>flip answer would be to agree but I think it better to remind everyone
>about those very early years when we were first taught to differentiate
>functions. One learned a slew of confusing rules, and by the end of
>it most any function could be massaged into its derivative. Very powerful,
>but you still hadn't a clue as to what a derivative _was_. Then some
>kind soul showed you how to do it geometrically; ah-ha! so that's what
>a derivative is! Great insight, but try to find the derivative of
>anything but the simplest function with geometric means and you're
>swimming in a psychedelic mess of curves and lines... So it's like
>that, huh? QM is a very powerful engineering tool but gives you
>zero insight into what's actually happening. I try to keep a hand
>in both worlds, insight and mathematical engineering are both necessary
>to realizing the world around us.
>
>Regarding your posted abstract:
>Ken needs something to keep his EV's glued together; I was under the
>impression that it might be some mesoscopic quantum effect but who knows?
>One thing I have always wanted to ask Ken was why he assumed that
>the EV was composed solely of electrons; given that they are manufactured
>from cathodes which disintegrate in the process. From my own work with
>spark gaps I have seen similar patterns as what he describes, I attributed
>some of these effects to particles from the cathode in a plasma form.
>It's been a long time since I've read Ken's patents and papers,
>would that I had the time to devote to properly evaluating this
>excellent experimental work.
>
>K.

Many thanks for your interesting post, Keith. It
gives me an excuse for one of my "long winded"
replies <g>

My denouement with the Calculus came at University
when the maths course went through the 12 ways of
solving high order differential equations. One of
the students complained bitterly that it was more
like biology than mathematics.

I'm afraid that the marriage between maths and
physics is an unhappy one which is always under
strain. As an example from a quite different
discipline, computing, consider the case of Dr
Yarbin, an brilliant Hungarian mathematician,
who was one of the first Scientific Officers at
BRS to man the IT Section. He wrote all his
programs in binary code - machine code that is
- and really enjoyed it. When assembly language
became available he bemoaned the fact. He felt
that programming was going to the dogs. You can
see his point of view. Whilst machine language
was the only option it gave great power the high
priests who worshipped at the air condition altar
of IBM. When higher languages became available
computing staff were virtually reduced to postmen;
or consultants when us workers at the coal face
got a bit out of our depth. The situation was made
even worse for them when micro computers became
available and everyone wanted to get rid of their
dumb terminals.

Personally, I never used the IT section. For the
statistics involved in industrial experimentation,
for example, (Multi-factor analysis, etc.) the
communication problem involved in explaining the
physics to the mathematicians and understanding
their reply was just too great. So I always took
evening classes at a London College for any techniques
I needed to master. Most useful, coz then my under
educated bosses couldn't argue with what I'd written
and were reduced to correcting the spelling and
grammar.

As regards computers I always avoided being a
suppliant. I started off buying an electro-mechanical
Munroematic, the ones with a matrix of 100 buttons
on the keyboard. From there I graduated to an Anita
electronic machine, then a programmable desk machine
that used a strip of punched tape down one side of a
card. The machine, the name escapes, me was connected
to an IBM golfball typewriter which only wrote in
large and small capital letters. I think they were
afraid of people pinching them. A Hewlett Packard
programmable pocket calculator came next. This had a
miniature magnetic strip one could pass through the
machine to record programs. Last and best was the
Atari ST, a powerful 32bit machine. Running the TOS,
it offers comparable convenience to the Apple MacOS
and meant I could use all my graph pads for scrap
paper. That was the most difficult machine to lever
through the Accounts Section coz they suspected that
I wanted it for my kids to play games. They weren't
entirely wrong either <g> but it was such a fag
carting it back and forth that I eventually splashed
out on a complete home set up. I used to do all my
research printups at home so my Department got their
money back in kind.

I'd better stop rambling and get back on track.  8-)

The trouble with mathematicians is they are even more
passive than physicists. They don't care how the world
works, all they care about is mathematics. Physicists
want to understand the world but think that once they
have modeled the world with mathematics (which they
are not very good at in my experience), that they
like the Ptolemaic astronomers, have understood it.
Engineers, at the other extreme know they need to
properly understand the world so that...

   ---------------------------------------
   Every valley shall be filled and every
   mountain and hill shall be brought low:
   and the crooked shall be made straight,
   and the rough ways plain.
   ---------------------------------------

.....and by constantly shifting their point of view,
their numerical datum, as the situation demands they
only need enough maths to carry them to the next
staging post.

Brunel didn't build the Great Western Railway by
sitting on his arse in the comfort of a city office.
He jumped on his horse and rode every inch of the
route from London to Bristol.

Seeing the world through the denaturing filter of
mathematics is a bit like translating Eskimo and
their fifty words for snow into English. An awful
lot gets lost in the process.

Cheers

Grimer

Oh! And good luck with your "command performance"  8-)