Thanks Horace,

And thanks too to the couple of vortexians who gave
some suggestions off list.  Got a neat little protocol
for some final electrolyte selection, and then the
matter of boron for neutron detection.  Boric acid is
easy enough to pick up, but I also have some serious
quantities of boron nitride ceramic powder, as well as
plates or coatings of same.

Now I am not sure, though that the window on my old GM
counter is thin enough to admit the alpha particles.
I thought the emission from manganese was a couple of
gamma peaks.

The silver dollar trick makes sense.  I saw an article
that may have been linked here a while back about how
Oak Ridge used to have a souvenir silver dime gimmick
whereupon the bombardment from Ra or Pu would kick up
some short life emission from one particular silver
isotope.  The tourist could then take the dime with
him or her,  - by the time it rolled away from the
Geiger counter it was already cooled off!

Will keep all advised...

Best,

NR