----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 8:57 AM
Subject: Episode 2: Joy of discussion
Did it ever occur to anyone here that the Grand Canyon is shaped entirely wrong for a geological feature that is millions of years old, that the outer canyon walls are too steep, and the debris field is too small?  If the canyon was formed over millions of years, the seasonal changes with countless freezing and thawing cycles should have fractured and collapsed all vertical walls on a continuous basis so that the canyon would be a large V shaped valley  composed of rock rubble at approximately 45 degree angle of repose.

Canyon De Chelly, 150 mi east of the Grand Canyon is an even more extreme example of this delema.  Sheer vertical walls extend from top to bottom with no rubble whatsoever.  The stream that runs through it can be crossed on foot without getting your ankles wet. De Chelly can barely be thousands of years old.

I have been to the base of El Capitan in Yosemite; the rubble at its base is unimpressive in size.  The rubble at the base of Devil Tower likewise seems insufficient for a millions year old geologic feature.
On July 13 1993 my wife and I were at Capital Reefs national park.  We were in a vertical walled canyon near the trail head to Cassidy Arch.  It was nearing sunset and windy.
We had back packs and intended to climb to Cassidy Arch and spend the night.  While contemplating the wisdom of this idea, I was staring at the far canyon wall.  Suddenly, tons of the canyon ledge fell away right before my eyes!  Half way down, the rock fall struck the canyon wall, shattering into a rain of fragments, and leaving a white mark on the wall. As I scanned the far wall I noticed numerous white marks.  Yet. the rubble field was not of impressive size.
If the canyon in Capital Reef is another Millions year old feature, what is the chance that I would see a major rock fall during my 2 minutes of contemplation?  We decided to spend our 25th wedding anniversary in a motel.

When I was a kid a local business backfilled an area to extend a parking lot.  They used ash from a coal fired power station to fill the area to over 10 ft deep.  At some time later a 15 minute thunder storm cut a 8 ft deep canyon through the semistable ash.  I walked through the canyon an hour later.  It was astounding!  All of the features that make the Grand Canyon instantly recognizable to anybody were laid out before my eyes in miniature with walls as high as I could reach.

When Mt St Helen exploded it generated a flood of mud and ash that formed a canyon system out of the Touttle river basin complete with vertical walls of visibly layered rock all formed from mud and ash.  If you were to blind fold a geologist and transport him to the Touttle canyon he would never guess that he was inspecting a geologic feature only 25 years old.

This Vortex-L group knows better than anyone that a reputable scientist can loose a lucrative career by publically believing CF to be possible.  How much more a geologist or paleontologist who gives credence to young earth evidence!  How many important discoveries and artifacts have been destroyed, reburied, or "filed" into oblivion in the basement of some museum to perpetuate the old earth dogma, but primarily to protect ones paycheck?  We of all people know it must be happening.

I'm just getting started, but I will quit for now.  Richard is right.  Let's cut the bull and get to some real science.

Jeff Fink  P.E.

Answer for Wyley..I came from the old days when dinasaurs were made into crude petroleum beneath the earth.. everyone accepted the fact back then.. well.. err.. that is until I saw the Grand Canyon and read the plaque provided by the US Park Service that stated it took umpeen million years for the river to carve a canyon 20 miles wide and a mile deep. From there I traveled to White Sands to read another plaque stating ...the sands were millions of years old and traveled x inches per year and the sands had drifted  40 miles after the gypsum had leached from the adjacent mountain.

Hmmm... I was viewing a giant hourglass,,, inches per year times miles roughly equaled 6000 to 12000 years,, not millions of years. Meanwhile , back at the ranch, my experience with liquids contol systems and cavitation gave me pause when attempting to reconcile a cavitation cut 20 miles wide and a mile deep in just under.. say 120 millions years. A few years ago the Hoover Dam bypass valves were opened against warnings by people that know better. The damage done in a few hours by cavitation demonstrated how to cut concrete pipe without using a saw or spend 30 million years to wear it down.

A rather long way around to answering your inquiry about earth expansion.  Imagine the depth and volume of water required to produce cavitation sufficent to cut the Grand Canyon and toss in the Hudson River Canyon etc in a years time. I am not an earth scientist but I think its time to stop the  dinasaur stuff about crude oil and let science be pursued.

Richard

<<Blank Bkgrd.gif>>