Horace Heffner wrote:

> Codeposition electrolysis using a weak carbolic acid, i.e. phenol, an
> aromatic ring with attached OH, or oher organic compound, combined with
> Li2SO4 and heavy water to form the electrolyte, and a Pd anode, may form on
> the cathode surface a volume which supports a larger than typical nuclear
> active state (NAS) zone as Ed Storms calls it [See "The Nature of
> Energy-Active State in Pd-D", Published in Infinite Energy #5,6 (1996)].
> Ed's research shows the NAS to be located to within a zone about a micron
> in depth beneath the cathode surface, and that the active (successful) Pd
> cathodes tend not to expand when loaded.

The Pd expands when loaded.  This can not be stopped.  However, this expansion
does not produce cracking.

> The addition of carbon rings or even fullerenes to the matrix has a two
> fold objective.  First, the carbon is intended to strengthen or harden the
> matrix by the addition of covalent bonds.  Second, the presence of carbon
> rings or fullerenes in the matrix provides deformities in the matrix which
> allow the formation of D2 molecules under high pressure.  In an ideal
> matrix the deformities adjacent to carbon molecules must tend not to
> initiate cracks in the matrix that release the hydrogen.
>
> In order that a high carbon content be obtained, perhaps Pd is not the best
> cathode material.  Alloys that would not ordinarily permit sufficient
> hydrogen diffusion may be good NAS candidates if a sufficient deformity
> density can be obtained concurrent with the hydrogen codeposition.  A final
> surface layer of Pd might be added though in order to facilitate hydrogen
> adsorbtion and to maintain cathode life.

This is what I find.  Pt is an ideal substrate on which to deposit the NAE.  I
expect other metals might work once we understand the nature of the  NAE.

> Fullerenes inside the matrix may form nano-Case-cells, or a nano version of
> a hollow cathode cell.
>
> The objective of the suggested approach is converting a surface effect into
> a reliable bulk effect.  Additionally, creation of a high volume (bulk CF)
> zone should increase the probability or density of active sites.
> Stimulation or control of bulk effect CF may require the use of x-rays in
> order to produce within the bulk a high density of energetic free electrons
> that catalyse the fusion.

I suggest a distinction needs to be made between a bulk effect and an effect
based on a large amount of the NAE.  Once the NAE is understood, it will be
made as a powder or deposited on a heat sink, which is simply exposed D2 to
become a source of heat.

Regards,
Ed