Horace Heffner writes

> I have done plenty of tritium counting using liquid
scintillation counting.
> I think it is more difficult to count water borne tritium
by other means.
> Scintillation couters can reliably and automatically
discriminate between
> tritium and say carbon 14.  There is almost no penetrating
power for 20 keV
> beta particles, so counting 201 Tl without interference
from tritium is
> easy.

Despite your expertise, your conclusion is debatable,
depending on the sophistication of the detector... and
perhaps depending on an operator with less extenisive
background   ;-)  . See below.

> BTW, my handbook shows 201 Tl decaying by electron capture
(1.36 MeV) with
> Hg and K shell x-rays of 135.28 keV and 167.40 keV.  This
stuff should
> stand out like the sun on a clear day.

Let me direct your attention to "Thallium online"
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/thallium.htm

You will see that over 95% of the gammas in this situation
would have a mean energy between 68-80 KeV but are coming
from the transitory mercury isotope as the Tl life is so
short. After an extended run, and with such a small amount
used, and with a starting half-life of only 70+ hours, there
is almost no Tl left to measure at the end of the run.

As you say, the end point for tritium betas is around 20 KeV
and nearly all would be absorbed in the water. The Radiation
Yield (Y) from bremsstrahlung can be calculated using the
following

Y=(6x10^-4(ZT))/(1+6x10^-4(ZT))

Where Z is the atomic #; T is the Kinetic E. of the beta in
MeV. for an average energy of 6keV you get:

Y=(6x10^-4(4*.006)/(1+6x10^-4(4*.006))  =1.44x10^-5

Which is the fraction of the 6 keV converted to photons as
the Beta particle slows down.

...or, the standard approximation is  ZE/3000 where E is the
maximum beta
energy i.e. 0.0186 MeV. From Evan's "The Atomic Nucleus" ...
This gives (for Be)  4 x 0.0186/3000 or 2.5 E-5, roughly
twice the value above. Anyway if lots of tritium was being
produced, a fair amount of the bremsstrahlung gamma photons
of about 3-6 keV would be seen.

This "should be" easily discriminated from the Tl emission,
but not necessarily so - depending on the detector used and
how the results were interpreted. That is why I asked the
question.

Jones