Mike Carrell wrote:

> Ed Storms wrote:
> >
> > John Fields wrote:

> irrational.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > And will watch as it's made effective?
> >
> > Yes, because Chine is gaining more by buying the US in contrast to
> > taking.  We are giving China the ability to develop its manufacturing
> > infrastructure by going into debt to buy its products.  When we run out
> > of money in a few more years and need to use military power to keep
> > China from taking over countries in its part of the world, we will need
> > the missile defense to keep China from implementing a counter threat.
> > The world is not what it seems to be because our government no longer
> > holds truth in high regard.  The Cold War is not over.
>
> To regard what is happening as a cold war is a misnomer; it is commerce,

Yes, I agree.  However. commerce is only the method. it is not the goal.
 As you note, Mike, China has always had big plans, which were
frequently interrupted by internal conflict.  This interruption might
happen again, similar to what happened to Russia. Nevertheless, the goal
of China is to dominate, which is a good position that the US used to
its advantage while it could. The difference between the Cold War and
now is the difference between how money is made.  During the Cold War,
corporations made money by telling people they had to pay high taxes to
allow the corporations to defend us against a weak and inefficient foe,
as it turned out.  This time they make their money by telling us to buy
the cheapest goods and encourage companies to go overseas so that such
goods are available. I remember the times ads encouraged people to buy
AMERICAN rather than Japanese.   Where are these ads now? The idea that
neutral commerce is driving the system is nonsense.  Why would a
government enact laws and policy that would obviously weaken it and
drive the country into the hands of another country?  Wars are normally
fought by governments to prevent this result. Why do you suppose our
government is not waging such a fight - other than obvious stupidity?

Ed

the