From: revtec
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: Salty water from Mars?

The oceans are obviously getting saltier each year as additiona minerals are disolved by rain water and washed to the sea. It has been calculated through measurements of river flow rates world wide with their associated salt content how much this is.  This rate is such that the oceans of 50 million years ago would have been fresh water.  As I recall, this argument was used to debunk 6,000 yr. biblical creation, but now it has become a serious limitation to the 10's or 100's of additional millions of years needed by evolution theory.  That 50 million is a maximum number since leaching rates drop over time as the mineral deposits become depleted.  Also the structure of many of the worlds river valleys show evidence of much higher rates of water flow than we presently see.

Check "The Genesis Flood" by Whitcomb and Morris for more details.

Regarding the fate of Mars' water, are we approaching some vindication of Velikovski?  There remain some difficult problems in orbital mechanics.

Jeff