Hey Nick,

The tragic thing is, you may be getting positive
results RIGHT NOW but you may not be able to see them.
As you say, the issue of what kind of neutrons you are supposed to
be detecting is a problem. You could switch to
calorimetry, but given the electrode erosion problems combined
with the rather difficult input energy measurement
some kind of particle detector really looks like
the lesser evil.

BTW, I'll be happy to try something here if you
get some results; as you know I'm all set up with the fixings
except for the neutron detector. Frankly, if what
comes out of this is a good cheap DIY neutron
detector then I'll deem the project a great
success even if the results are null. The key
is doing the calibration. Come on, I know there
are/were some list members with this kind of
expertise, we need a cheap and legal source
of neutron flux.

Thanks for posting Nick, it's always a terrific pleasure
to read experimental reports like this.

K.