Hi All -

A woman was killed by crossfire across the way from me early last year. A few
weeks later I heard gunshots and ran out the door to see if I might help, but
the victim was a young man on the sidewalk, his brains blasted out. His vacant
eyes stared up into the light pre-dawn rain when they rolled him onto the
stretcher. A man at my subway stop, also just around the corner, had his face
blasted inward. And a homeless man was sliced and stabbed to death quietly off
to the side of our plaza. Hey, my rent is cheap at least.

But the point is, not one of these cases has been solved. It's sad but true
that families will often have no resolution. My family was lucky, when my
23-year old uncle was murdered days before Christmas and two weeks before his
wife gave birth to their first child. His killers were picked up at another
murder scene just hours later. But I can also say that two decades later the
police were still probing around my former step father for a murder they
believed he commited in 1974 (no, we didn't know about this when my mother
married him).

The fact is that outdoor scenes make life difficult; that much more chaos and
complexity. And robberies gone bad, because of their impersonal nature, are
terribly difficult unless the killer boasts or confesses.

The fact is, however, that Eugene Mallove was not a large threat to the world
order. He might have been correct, but he was not alone in his beliefs nor even
the primary scientific mind behind Cold Fusion. I know of no other advocates
who have been silence with fear as a result of his murder either.

Cold Fusion has lost a passionate and articulate advocate. The talented circle
of people involved with this movement will need to continue without him. But
spinning vague conspiracy theories are more likely to hurt his family then
bring them justice.

Erik Baard