Knuke said it better than me.  Back in 1965 our company paid $1000 bucks for  a Friden " colonel Boggy" mechanical calculator,  the big boy with a thousand gears, an absolute work of art in mechanical computing for flow equations.
Within a year or two, we bought a Sharp electronic calculator that handled square root etc. for $ 250 bucks. In turn TI introduce the pocket calc and POOF !!  Friden was no more.  What happened to this beautiful manufacturing company.. later Singer bought them and last I heard they were making postage machines.

The point is that Friden is one of the prime examples of the changes wrought by technology in the everyday office preceding the computer revolution. It demonstrated that manufacturing companies can be thrown out with the trash just like a big mac carton.

Big business are painfully aware of their vulnerability and are not asleep.. well.. errr..

Richard

<<Blank Bkgrd.gif>>