To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 12:33 AM
Subject: FW: Cosmic oddity casts doubt on theory of universe

The concluding remarks sound like they come from Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy.

LOL.

Harry

Cosmic oddity casts doubt on theory of universe

<snip>

"There is no way to judge the real significance of such a result," says
Charles Bennett of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., the
leader of the WMAP team.

It all depends on how we perceive "chance," and how we evaluate
probabilities, Dr. Bennett says. The alignments seen in the CMB may seem
unlikely, he says, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they require new
physics to explain them.

He points out that "improbable things happen frequently because there are
lots of opportunities for them to occur." In other words, he says, the newly
discovered CMB correlations are most likely the product of chance.