At 10:08 AM 2/2/5, Merlyn wrote:
>I think the discussion between Horace and I on the mechanics behind
>magnetism has an application here.  As Horace pointed out to me, Jefimenko
>has shown how the magnetic field of a moving charge is due to the
>retardation of the electric field do to signal speed (electrical
>dopplering).

Magnetism is not really due to dopplering, which is a frequency shift.
Retardation and doppler shift are two different things, though both are
related to velocity.  Doppler shift can only affect frequency, which in the
case of photons does indeed affect the momentum transfer itself.  However,
retardation also affects the *direction* of the applied force.

>This would imply that there is no way to manifest a magnetic monopole
>because a stationary magnetic field does not exist.

This does not necessarily follow.  Jefimenko demonstrates that, applying
relativity, the electric field can be derived from a magnetic field.   He
feels therefore, when examined from the perspective of relativity, they are
co-fields.  If monopoles exist, then they can generate "apparent" electric
fields just like charged particles can generate "apparent" magnetic fields.
Symmetry, if it actually means anything in this case, indicates monopoles
should or at least might actually exist.

Regards,

Horace Heffner