No, the patents were invalidated for failure to
disclose "best methods".  I was to be called as
an expert witness, but I never testified because
the "inventors" had actually made public statements
bragging about how they had obtained patents, but
that no one would be able to do what they had
because the actual formulation had not been
disclosed in the patent.

This involved the Upper Deck trading card company
and, as I recall, American Banknote Holographics,
although it might have been another manufacturer.
It was about 15 years ago.  I have no idea what
the case number was, or if there was one. The
patents covered an utterly trivial and obvious
method of lamination of a hologram to a paper
substrate.

And, of course, I completely agree with you that
it is extremely easy, ordinarily, to get away with
this sort of thing.  It goes on all the time.

There is a company called Battelle (sp?) Memorial
Institute whose entire reason for existence seems
to be to magically transform publicly funded research
into private intellectual property packages without
reimbursing the taxpayers.  Perhaps I'm wrong about
this, but that's how it appears to me.  Know anything
about this, Keith?

M.

Jones Beene wrote:

This is not "that very reason" - at least not as you
have described it. What is the case name? What you
are referring to appears to be either the issue of
"obviousness" or "known in prior art" - not lack of
disclosure. The two are quite different. To assert
lack of disclosure, you have to prove that the device,
which IS otherwise patentable but cannot be built by
one "skilled in the art" as described - and to counter
this, all the patent holder needs to do is show that
someone skilled in the art can build it. The burden of
evidence is almost impossible to overcome as it
estremely overweighted in avor of the patent holder.

For instance, here is how this could play out in the
case of tungsten boride. Let's say the hidden trade
secret is that it needs to be "forged slowly over time
in a certain way". The claim is only for "forged" but
the trade secret withheld is the way it is done. You
claim you couldn't do it. He goes out and hires
expert-liar-PhD so-and-so, who comes into court and
says, "wrong, I did it and therefore you are not
skilled in the art." IOW the evidential burden is
almost impossible to overcome without a showing of
actual criminal conduct. Read the Rambus case, etc.
They hid everything and still got to keep the patent.

If you have real case law, I would actually like to
read it. It is an area of law that is changing, but it
is naive to think that this does not go on all the
time, especially with government patents. Hey,
Presidents are not supposed to have sex with interns
or invade sovereign nations either, so what. Laws are
routinely by-passed at every level of government.
Surprise, surprise.

The chief scientist can see the writing on the wall at
his retirement - no royalites and no decent retirement
income unless he can hire on to some independent
company as a consultant and explain everything he
inadvertently left out in the patent - which, of
course, he had no choice but to assign to uncle Sam.
It's called self-interest or even "survival" if you
want to get it down to basics. And look at how many
patents Sam gets every year -everything they fund,
they keep the rights to.

Geeze, does anyone really think that all government
scientists are somehow more honorable than the ones
who can get hired in industry and get a reward of
stock options or royalties? ...like they are doing us
a favor or something by obeying the letter of the law
instead of looking after their own interests ... I
don't think so.

Jones

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com