Anyway, I set out to learn about these blog things . . . and I was not
impressed. Most of them seem poorly written and unorganized. Most
appear to be right wing political diatribes, or self-centered gabbing
about nothing in particular, or recursive comments about the
blogosphere itself.

congrats.  this here is a nail, and thats a rather large hammer in
your hand, and you connected the two quite well.

the majority of the "blogosphere"  (puke) is just that.  there are
some sites dedicated to new that are or were pretty big.  i used to be
on agonist a bunch before they changed things around
(scoop.agonist.org, no www. ).  and i used to post a bunch of "fringe"
science stuff, but, since we had a few "real" scientists, that got
ignored.  my suggestion, if you see that youve been linked by a blog,
go there, sign up, add a link on your website back to that blog, and
talk with people on the commenting systems.  that will draw people.
that, and you can make your own blog.  recent things that have come
up, news items you got from vortex, ect, with your own thoughts and
comments, and a space for people to comment.  theres lots of canned
blogging programs.  find a blog you like the looks of, and search the
faq, youll usually find some info on how they put their blog together.

--
"Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to
make it possible for you to continue to write"  Voltaire